Note 1. A.E. Jones, Extracts from the History of Cincinnati and the Territory of Ohio, Cincinnati: Cohen & Co. (1888), p. 45. This history lists a Captain Pratt as the first purchaser of Lot No. 9, which William and Elizabeth Chribbs would own within a few years. Ibid., p. 47.
Note 2. This map was published by Robert Clarke, Record of the distribution and sale of lots in the town of Losantiville (now Cincinnati) 1789, which is the Rare Books Collection of the University of Cincinnati. The University has made an image of the map available online.
Note 3. Hamilton County, Ohio, case record, April 7, 1803, William Chribbs v. John Bain, Indiana Territory General Court Case Files, Box 3, Folder 186, Indiana State Archives, Commission on Public Records.
Note 4. The jurors listed in the court record are: Richard Benham, Samuel Armstrong, William Simmonds, Joseph Layton, Robert McKinney, Robert Witham, Ezekiel Case, William Faulkner, Samuel Veasey, Thomas McIntire, Samuel Davis, and William Reed.
Note 5. The journal was published as “Memoirs of Benjamin Van Cleve” in the Quarterly Publication of the Historical and Philosophical Society of Ohio, Nos. 1 and 2, Cincinnati: The Abingdon Press (Jan.-June 1922).
Note 6. See, e.g., Maskell E. Curwen, “Sketch of the History of Dayton,” Odell’s Dayton Directory and Business Advertiser, Dayton, Ohio: James O’Dell, Jr., publisher (1850).
Note 7. See, e.g., History of Clark County, Ohio, Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co. (1881), pp. 139, 257-58.
Note 8. History of Clark County, Ohio, Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co. (1881), p. 259. This account appears to be based on the earlier writing of John Ludlow, which was later republished as John Ludlow, The Early Settlement of Springfield, Ohio (The Ludlow Papers), Springfield, Ohio: Clark County Historical Society (1963). John Ludlow was the great-nephew of Israel Ludlow and was acquainted with David Lowry. Here is the corresponding information as described by John Ludlow at page 10 of the 1963 publication:
The following year after David Lowry and Donnels’ settlement (1796) two settlers came into the neighborhood by the name of Kreb and Brown. They had their camp near the place of the second crossing of the Dayton Railroad, just beyond the deep cut. Mr. Lowry gave a portion of his time in hunting and fishing to secure food for them, while they raised a crop of corn.
Ludlow notes that this is “[k]nown as the second settlement in Clark County (1796)” and is the one described in Benjamin Van Cleve’s diary as Chribbs Station.
Note 9. Hamilton County, Ohio, Deed Book B-1, pp. 69-70.
Note 10. Message from the President of the United States Accompanying a Statement of Expenditures from the 1st of January 1797, by the Quarter Master General, and the Navy Agents, for the Contingencies of the Naval and Military Establishments, Washington: William Duane and Son, printer (1803), p. 50.
Note 11. William Maxwell began publishing Cincinnati’s first newspaper, Centinel of the North-Western Territory, on Nov. 9, 1793. That newspaper ceased publication on June 11, 1796, but Maxwell sold it to Edmund Freeman who began publishing under the name Freeman’s Journal on June 18, 1796. An incomplete set of issues of the Freeman’s Journal is available on microfilm at the Ohio Historical Society.
Note 12. Sumner County, Tenn., Deed Book 2, pp. 251-52.
Note 13. Sumner County, Tenn., Deed Book A, p. 103 (John Hinds to Campbell on Dec. 7, 1797); Deed Book 2, p. 139 (Campbell to Hinds on Dec. 7, 1797); Deed Book 2, p. 139 (Hinds to Jeremiah and Abijah Hunt on Aug. 10, 1797).